Saturday, August 15, 2009

the party seeks power entirely for its own sake

I don't mind that I'm working on a weekend. It's nice and quiet and I can listen to Ben Folds Five and not have everyone in the office going "WTF."

What I do mind about working (well, on any given day, not necessarily weekends) are the tasks that I'm supposed to accomplish.

Especially this one.

Apparently our facility was "randomly selected" for a study on "whether, and to what extent, nursing facilities employ individuals with criminal convictions" (and I'm a bit perturbed that I had to clean up the DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES' grammar, but that's neither here nor there). Our participation in this study is MANDATORY, says the bolded text. So I get to go through our payroll system and sort through terminated and active employees and create a spreadsheet with the following information...

- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
- Sex
- RACE
- Employee classification
- Beginning date of employment
- Direct care employee?

What do I get from this? The government is racial profiling nursing homes and Big Brother is following our every step... and I honestly feel a little queasy about doing this project. I ran through ten names before I had to step back and take a look at my own morals and realize that this is something I'm just too uncomfortable with doing...

...I'll just go pass out the mail and newspapers and get the hell out of here instead.

No comments: